[mythtv-users] how to improve Myth (was "OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box")

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 17:14:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Magnus <magnus at yonderway.com> wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > (And, the reason the patch isn't there is /not/ because the devs are
> > slacking off.  Look at the recent commits to see just how much activity
> > there is on the project, then ask yourself, "How much time have I put
> > into making Myth better compared to, for example, Stuart Morgan or
> > Daniel K. or Janne?"  (Just choosing a few of the recent heavy-hitters,
> > no offense intended toward the other devs.))
>

> This sort of "we look forward to your patch" mentality is a very myopic
> view that limits the potential of many FOSS projects.

It's an appropriate response to a feature request that has been well
discussed and known for 6 months.  Unless someone steps up to code it, it
will remain as a "that'd be nice" item.  The only better system I've seen is
adding the ability to vote on feature requests and store those requests in
the ticketing system.  Since MythTV's trac system isn't used to track
feature requests, this would be something that Isaac would have to want to
implement as a way to gauge the popularity of various feature requests but
again, unless he's looking to get that kind of feedback, it's really up to
someone to submit patches before it will become reality.

Kevin