[mythtv-users] Sound and video card suggestions

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 14:58:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 4:29 AM, Carlo Nyto <carlonyto at gmail.com> wrote:

> I realized this question is frequently asked, but part of that is that
> the hard keeps changing faster than the drivers. I don't know of a
> venue more likely to find knowledegable people, I apologize if I have
> chosen the wrong one.
>
> I have two related (and perhaps redundant) questions:
>
> 1) What sound card is best? I just need to send sound out of the
> computer and have it converted to SPDIF or Toslink. It would also be a
> great benefit to receive sound input at the same time via similar
> interfaces (full duplex). By "card" I don't limit myself to PCI/PCI-E
> cards, a USB device is completely acceptable. I am limited on slots
> and a device that only does something so low-bandwidth as sound seems
> silly.

Turtle Beach Riviera PCI.  Hands down.  It just plain works out of the box,
has optical SPDIF output and I've never had a problem with it.  If you need
low profile, find one based on the same chipset (I have one from AOpen -
cobra something) that also works perfectly.

> 2) What video card is best? In my case,I have an 8x/16x PCI-E slot. I
> can not accept a binary-only kernel module. No one will support a
> kernel on a system running one, and I can't blame them for this. Even
> though I do not care about 3D performance, I do care about video
> performance, as it impacts the usability of the system. I require VGA
> and Component Video currently, but as I am in the progress of
> upgrading the display components, recommendations towards future
> upgrades would be appreciated.

Something nvidia.  I prefer the FX5200 but they're not PCIe.  Try something
in the 6200 range and it should be cheap and work just fine.

Kevin