[mythtv-users] how to improve Myth (was "OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box")

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 14:45:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Magnus <magnus at yonderway.com> wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> > They've already cornered themselves in their respective rooms and are
> > redesigning the entire foundation the UI is built on.
>
> This is very good to hear.
>
> If I may suggest something for consideration and discussion, though, I
> think there are some back-end considerations to keep in mind as well.
>
> Right now, every media type that Myth deals with is handled in vastly
> different ways.  If I record a TV show through a tuner, I watch it
> through one facility.  If I download an episode via BitTorrent, it's
> lumped in with all of the other videos not capture directly by Myth's
> tuners.

No one is forcing you to put your external content into MythVideo.  There
are plenty of ways (ragetvgrab, etc) that already import TV episodes into
Watch Recordings and it's a very simple scripting chore to do it if you
provide all the input.

> So all of the media known to Myth is available through one interface, as
> opposed to a bunch of disjointed plugins each giving their own
> interface.  Yes, plugins are still extremely valuable for describing to
> Myth different media object types, the sort of metadata that needs to be
> kept on each media type and how to get it, etc.  The devil is in the
> details, of course, but the payoff is huge.

Perhaps, but music isn't the same as video and how I browse for Movies is
different than how I browse for TV shows.  I like cover art for movies and
preview/descriptions for TV shows.  Watch Recordings and MythVideo achieve
those purposes for me so it can be to each their own to some degree.  I
don't want to see my movies with my TV shows.

Kevin