[mythtv-users] A/V delay when recording HD

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Oct 8 14:25:04 UTC 2008

Geoffrey Schwartzreich <atomik_kat at yahoo.com> says:
> As for the time-sync issues in general, please google "Toxic
> channels" for TiVo. Essentially, they are program streams that are
> not to MPEG-2 spec, and are broken in some fundamental way, like a
> bitrate that is too low or high, or an audio stream that is not
> synced, or data breaks. The HD/Series 3 TiVo's are especially
> sensitive to these artifacts, and will crash frequently when
> encountered.

This is certainly an issue with MythTV (or, more accurately, the
audiovisual libraries it's built on) as well; I doubt there's one of
us who hasn't had mythfrontend crash because it very much didn't like
a momentary blip in a broadcast signal while recording. Jon Postel's
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"
holds true more than ever.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array