[mythtv-users] Myth and DTV Converter Box

Jesse Michelsen jmichelsen4 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 04:19:29 UTC 2008

So I am a real cheap guy and don't really want to pay for cable or
satellite TV when there are enough perfectly good TV shows coming over
the waves free. I got my free coupons for DTV converter boxes from the
government so I can keep watching free TV until my wife finally says "I
WANT REAL CHANNELS"
Well my question here is this. Has anyone had success running mythtv
with DTV + antenna as the input? I am having trouble here, heres how its
set up.
The DTV box:
 has antenna in (coax)
coax out
AV out

normally the antenna would come in, and coax or av would go out to a TV
tuned to channel 3 or 4, whatever the dtv box was set to. The channels
then have to be changed via the dtv remote, the TV staying on ch3/4

tvtime is the same way, tune to ch3/4 and dtv+antenna come in fine and
channels are changed on the dtv

with mythtv I figure it would work the same way but then I wouldn't
really be able to record anything in the normal fashion. I could set
myth to record channel 3 and change the channel on the dtv to the show I
wanted to record but that isn't quite the setup one would want and even
that I am having trouble with. This is my first PC-TV setup ever and its
been quite a painful journey but I think it will be worth it in the end.
Until then, does anyone have any ideas? I have searched all over the net
but its kinda weird and unique setup I think and I haven't found any info.
sorry so lengthy
system specs are:
Hauppauge WinTV-GO-FM tuner
Xubuntu hardy 8.04