[mythtv-users] The best, coolest cases ... please weigh in ...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 8 02:44:00 UTC 2008

DaveD wrote:
> Marc Randolph wrote:

>>> I'm using the remote that came with the LC11 case, and a Logitech Dinovo
>>> bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I consider the latter as *must have* items
>>>  for an 'out-in-the-open' setup...No wires!
>>>

>> What kind of range can you get with the Dinovo?
>> What other keyboards do all you other people have that reach all the
>> way down a normal sized rectangular shaped living room?
>>
> I'm using a Gyration wireless RF keyboard/mouse.  The mouse actually
> works on a surface (optical) or in space (uses gyro-like actions) and
> sits in a cradle/charger.  The keyboard uses 4 AA's that last about 6
> months (and I use it a lot).  There is an RF tranceiver that connects to
> the computer via USB that is shared by the keyboard and mouse.  They
> claim 50 feet but I've never tested it that far.  I have gone to the
> other end of our house, maybe 30 feet down the hall to a bedroom, and
> have never had it fail to communicate.  I actually have two sets; one at
> a console (that could be wired but is handy to have it wireless) and one
> over in a drawer in the coffee table.  I am VERY happy with it (I bought
> the second one) and agree that a wireless mouse and keyboard are a MUST
> have in an HTPC setup.  You just can't get all the functionality crammed
> into any remote.  I use my system for slide shows, watching YouTube
> vids, online TV shows, etc, etc, etc, all from the couch!

I use the same setup.

It's sad, for all the time I spent getting LIRC and my remote working, I
never use it. I leave the small Gyration KB on the table next to my
Laz-Z-Boy and wind up using it.

The remote is basically for guests, who seem more comfortable with it
than with a keyboard, and the functions you need the KB for haven't been
thought of by most of my guests :-)

But a lot of people like the remote interface, and a lot of people
resist using a keyboard. Isn't it great that Myth gives you the choice?

beww