[mythtv-users] OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 01:01:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:33 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> > XBMC, in my opinion, is a much better front end for audio & video than
> Myth.
> > The interface and usability are slicker and more usable than mythmusic
> and
> > mythvideo as far as I'm concerned. But yes, it does not add much more in
> the
>
>     Well, how exactly?
>
>    We can corner some of the devs in a room and not let them leave
> until they make some improvements... '-)

First let me say that I'm in no way poo-pooing on any piece of Myth or its
developers. The programmers have done a fantastic job with this product and
I don't pretend to know the first thing about programming. Not to mention
they do it for no money and the only thing I've ever put money towards other
than hardware is a Schedules Direct subscription, andhave received a
wonderful product in return.

That being said, the look, feel and general UI of Mythmusic & Mythdvd are
just terrible. XBMC looks nice, is very snappy and is (for the most part)
pretty intuitive. It's still buggy, sure, but for the most part will throw
any video format thrown at it, be it an ISO of a DVD, Xvid / Flash / Mkv /
Quicktime / etc. On the audio side it plays all the happy formats you'd
expect, offers a library option to index all your songs, will read iTunes
DAAP data and playlists, and has some pretty nice fullscreen visualizations.
Oh, and it downloads the album art / DVD covers for all your media on the
fly without need for a third-party scraper.

Obviously the XBMC folks have had a head start. Since, until recently,
everything was developed for the same platform (the 733MHZ) Xbox, they could
focus more on usability than compatibility. But I love the product and don't
see myself using anything else for music / movies on the big screen for
quite some time.