[mythtv-users] OT: I'm streaming Netflix on my Linux box

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 16:42:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Jason Sullivan <jason0x21 at gmail.com> wrote:

> No feathers ruffled here.  I'm intrigued.  Is XBMC required for this,
> or can MythTV be a UPnP client without it?
> XBMC seems a lot to install just to be a client with many of the
> features already in the MythTV frontend.  Or am I missing something
> here?
>
> --

XBMC, in my opinion, is a much better front end for audio & video than Myth.
The interface and usability are slicker and more usable than mythmusic and
mythvideo as far as I'm concerned. But yes, it does not add much more in the
way of core functionality than Myth. I am also curious if Myth can be a uPNP
client, I really haven't put much research into it though since most of my
non-tv related functions have been relegated to XBMC.