[mythtv-users] Need help with two problems: tricky recording rule and deleting stored custom recording rule

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 05:18:24 UTC 2008

On Oct 5, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:

> On 04/10/2008, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com

>>> Aha!  (Light bulb going on ;-)
>>>
>>> So the duplicate matching is in the dialog afterwards, not part of
>>> the
>>> custom rule itself.  And the recording group is the same way.
>>> Guess I
>>> should have gone further into the process.  Thanks!
>>>
>>> Craig.

Here's how I did it. Make 2 rules. They don't have to be custom, just
2 rules that both say to record a show. In my case, The Simpsons. I
set up the rule to record only new episodes on Fox (any time on this
channel), and set it with a high priority. Then I made a second rule,
that will record at any time on any channel, and set it to a low
priority. The first rule catches all the new episodes. The second rule
will record any episode that hasn't been previously recorded on any
channel, as long as it doesn't conflict with something more important.
This also benefits my expirations, as I can expire old episodes of
Simpsons, while the new recordings do not have expiration enabled
until I've watched them and then enabled the expiration (plus the
priorities will get rid of old episodes before new ones) Hope this
helps.

~Jon