[mythtv-users] What kind of Myth setups do you all have?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au
Mon Oct 6 22:03:46 UTC 2008

Bobby Gill wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, what kind of setups do our list regulars (or
> anyone!) have? ie., How many backends, frontends, which tuner card(s),
> remote(s), and how is the whole shebang connected and placed
> throughout the house/wherever? What kind of TV (HD, analog, etc.)? Do
> you use Myth for videos/pics/etc.? I'm trying to get ideas for myself
> as we move into a new house in a few months, I'd really appreciate
> feedback.

Combined FE/BE under the TV

- FTA Australia (5 Transponders/12 Channels)
- 3 Digital Tuners
- 42 Inch Plasma (HDMI Input)
- Separate 5.1 Amp
- MS USB Remote
- Customised the Theme and Menu
- 100Mb Ethernet
- Use Myth for:
   * Recording TV (Lots!)
   * DVD Playback
   * Video Playback
   * Music

To my surprise 3 Tuners has been plenty, we never get a conflict -
multirec makes all the difference. And we record a *lot* of TV, Myth is
a huge improvement on out previous PVR, a Topfield 6000.

We used to have wireless, but it was to erratic and slow. I would not
bother in the future.

The biggest pain has been Modern DVD's, Myth has a lot of problems with
them. Not just the ripping, but even simple playback can be tricky, the
menu seem to give it problems. Older DVD's are fine.

--
Lindsay
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~blackpaw1/album