[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV HVR-3000 DVB-S ? Help ?

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Mon Oct 6 11:38:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, October 6, 2008 11:19 am, Declan Grady wrote:

> Robert mentioned
>
> On Fri, September 26, 2008 11:22 am, Declan Grady wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>> I'm in Ireland, and am a bit lost with my HVR-3000 for DVB-S
>>>

>>If you want to use DVB-S and DVB-T, I think your best bet is to try and
>>get the Steven Toth S2-API stuff to work.  This seems to be the direction
>>linux-dvb is going.
>
>>If you just want DVB-S then perservere with getting the linux-dvb
>>repositories to build....
>
> OK, 1 step forward & 2 step backwards.
> I did a fresh Etch install, updated to etchnhalf kernel & headers, got the
> complete dvb stuff, download, compiled & installed. Hey presto, HVR-3000
> is
> recognized with 2 frontends.
>
> DVB-S working, although very poor picture - lots of stuttering & breakup.
> Unwatchable.
>
> However, the HVR-3000 itself seems to work well, as I can tune into a
> channel with szap, and record to an mpg file, watch it with mplayer, and
> it
> is perfect.
>
> So, in my wisdom, after a few unsuccessful tweaking attempts in the
> frontend, I removed & reinstalled mythtv completely.
>
> I used apt-get remove & install.  I even tried using remove --purge.
>
> Now, I have a box that won't let me do the mythtv-setup.
> It looks like it is going to start ok, shows the prescaling theme/images,
> then screen goes blank. If I press escape, it gives me the normal error
> screen telling me I haven't configured my storage directories, so that
> would
> suggest it is actually running, but something wrong with display.
>
> I removed everything, including X, getting me back to a base system, and
> then installed them all again, hoping my problem would go away, but no.
> same
> thing.
>
> I even checked the scart ouptut of my Geforce 6200 card, in case it was
> trying to display on the TV instead of the VGA output I was using.
>
> Is my best bet just to do a new base install again, or is there a simpler
> solution.

If you've messed around a lot it might be better to do a clean install -
at least then you know the state of your system and it might prevent
future problems.

Having said that, I'm sure I used to have a similar problem with
mythtv-setup and it was something to do with the theme painter.  Try
starting it with (this is from memory so you may have to google it)
--theme-painter=qt to force it to use QT.

Otherwise start it from a console and see what output it gives if
anything....

Did you delete/recreate the mythconverg database as part of your reinstall
- might be worth trying that as well.

Robert.