[mythtv-users] Any advice on cooling down my backend

Edmund edmund.1 at dial.pipex.com
Sun Oct 5 18:42:33 UTC 2008

Thank you everyone for your help a while back. I have now followed
through with a few ideas and
I thought I'd post my results.
>> Do you have cool and quiet running? Activate the ondemand governor so
>> the system runs at 1GHz most of the time. This will save 20W+

Thanks, I do now.

> Also, depending on the number of disks you have in the backend you can save a fair bit setting spindown times using hdparm.

I have some numbers. In each case the numbers are averaged over whole
periods of 24 hours as I have very variable usage. These numbers are a
little higher than I ultimately expect as I have been messing around
during the day writing scripts and so the discs have been spinning down
less than I would hope. In all cases when I use hdparm I use -S 120 or
10 minutes.

Six discs (no DVD) no hdparm      199W
Six discs (no DVD) hdparm            191W but 4 disc are in a software
Raid 5
so remove raid 5                           167 W
turn on AMD cool/quiet                  137W
remove the only graphics card         121W

These are not scientific there would have been different loads each day
depending upon the programmes being recorded, but that is roughly quite
a lot during prime time and then very little the rest of the day, no
transcoding, all recording is DVB-T, though when I first removed raid 5
there was quite a lot of disc copying going on.

The motherboard is a consumer Asus board, but there is a setting to
ignore all error on boot and with this set it does boot with no graphics
card. (Without it set it doesn't.)