[mythtv-users] NAS power supply

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Oct 5 14:36:38 UTC 2008

Yan Seiner wrote:
> I'm going to have to build an external HD enclosure.  What do people do
> for power supplies?  Power itself shouldn't be a problem; assuming a
> drive consumes 20W on spinup and 10W running then even 20 drives can be
> handled by a (relatively) modest 450 W PS.  No mobo in the enclosure, so
> no power for that.
>
> I've heard about people using resistors on a normal PS when it's used
> without a mobo.  I can only assume that the PS requires a load of some
> sort on the mobo connector to operate properly, but I'm not about to go
> slapping random resistors on the connector... :-)
>
> I've not had any luck finding a HOWTO or anything on this.  Anyone have
> any ideas?  Suggestions?

A standard PC-type power supply has "soft power" switch conductors on
the large molex connector, so you would need to do something to make it
"turn on".

The best would be a non-PC type power supply, there are some made for
external SCSI cases such as:

http://www.circotech.com/scsi-external-case-4-bay-with-250w-power-supply.html

http://www.circotech.com/drive-cases-external-scsi-case.html

I'm not sure about where to buy the PS alone, but perhaps the case
makers will sell you a replacement supply.

Then again, slapping random resistors on the connector might be more fun
and exciting :-)

beww