[mythtv-users] NAS power supply

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Sun Oct 5 14:31:13 UTC 2008

Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com>, said on Sun Oct 05, 2008 [07:25:52 AM]:
} I'm going to have to build an external HD enclosure.  What do people do
} for power supplies?  Power itself shouldn't be a problem; assuming a
} drive consumes 20W on spinup and 10W running then even 20 drives can be
} handled by a (relatively) modest 450 W PS.  No mobo in the enclosure, so
} no power for that.
}
} I've heard about people using resistors on a normal PS when it's used
} without a mobo.  I can only assume that the PS requires a load of some
} sort on the mobo connector to operate properly, but I'm not about to go
} slapping random resistors on the connector... :-)
}
} I've not had any luck finding a HOWTO or anything on this.  Anyone have
} any ideas?  Suggestions?

http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/196/1

(from a google-fu of: http://www.google.com/search?q=power+supply+no+motherboard )

--
"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
steve at heistand.org