[mythtv-users] Need help with two problems: tricky recording rule and deleting stored custom recording rule

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 20:37:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> A custom rule can use duplicate detection, as is the case with all
>> other 'normal' rules. The 'customised' match criteria of the rule
>> determine which programmes _can_ be recorded by the rule; the
>> duplicate detection determines which programmes will be scheduled
>> based on MythTV's knowledge of previously recorded episode of the
>> matched programme title.
>>
>> Nick
>>

> Aha!  (Light bulb going on ;-)
>
> So the duplicate matching is in the dialog afterwards, not part of the
> custom rule itself.  And the recording group is the same way.  Guess I
> should have gone further into the process.  Thanks!
>
> Craig.

Hmmm.  Still having a problem.  It seems I can't find a way to specify
the title to match in my new custom rule and get any matches for it.
I can get matches for the title, but not the rule, and I'm wondering
if I'm colliding with the "regular" rule that I modified to only
record new shows.

I made the "regular" rule by going to the program guide, finding an
episode, and starting the rule definition by typing "i" on the
keyboard.  Here are the terms for the "regular" rule that I think are
relevant:
Record at any time on any channel
Normal recording priority
Start and end on time
Match duplicates using subtitle & description
Look for duplicates in current and previous recordings

I made the custom rule by going into the program guide again, finding
an episode, and starting the rule definition by typing "e" on the
keyboard.  I can't get any rule matches even with this rule:
program.title = "NCIS"

If I use that as the whole custom rule and choose record, and choose
to Record at any time on any channel, I can see upcoming episodes for
this title, but none for this rule.  (Note that they're all active
already because of the "regular" rule, except for those that MythTV
has previously recorded.)  If I go back to the "regular" rule and
change it from "Look for duplicates in current and previous
recordings" to "Record new episodes only", I get the same results when
I reconstruct the custom rule.  It doesn't help even if I add to the
custom rule the clause "AND program.previouslyshown != 0"  and/or
change the first clause to "program.title LIKE 'NCIS%' ".

Any suggestions?  Do I need to delete the "regular" rule and make two
custom rules -- one for new episodes and one for reruns?

Craig.