[mythtv-users] Intermittent "File Not Found" Messages

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Fri Oct 3 20:07:38 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> I recently upgraded hardware for my combo BE/FE machine running Myth
>> 0.21_p18116 and MySQL 5.0.60-r1 on Gentoo.  I built the system disk from
>> scratch using the Gentoo sources for the 2.2.26 64 bit kernel.  The
>> processor is an AMD X2 3800.
>>
>> To populate the mythconverg database, I did a mysqldump from the old and
>> restored it to the new.  Then using mythtv-setup, I deleted and
>> recreated input cards, frontends, storage groups, etc. to reflect the
>> new enviornment.
>>
>> On the old hardware, the recordings were in a storage group named
>> "Default" and consisted of 3 drives (/tv, /tv1, /tv2 - original, huh?).
>> These drives were moved to the new box and mounted at the same points.
>> On the new box I had a free partition on the system disk which I mounted
>> as /tv0 and added to the storage group.
>>
>> Everything works fine most of the time.  However in the "Watch
>> Recordings" screen, many of my previous recordings have lost their
>> thumbnail images.  This is not a big deal but I thought Myth created
>> those as necessary?  The bigger problem is that I can begin to play a
>> recording and it plays fine.  But sometimes if I exit the recording and
>> then attempt to play it again, I get a "file not found" error message.
>> At some later point, the file will be found.  Another stop/start of the
>> recording may or may not produce the "file not found" message.
>> Sometimes stopping/restarting the FE will help; sometimes not.  This is
>> all intermittent but I have only noticed the behavior with recordings
>> that don't have thumbnails; meaning they were recorded with the old
>> hardware.
>>
>> Any ideas on why I might be seeing this behavior?  I am at a loss as to
>> where to even begin checking.
>>

> Intermittent problems like this are often hardware-related. I'd start by
> running a RAM checker, at least overnight, and then testing your
> filesystems thoroughly.
>
> Remove and re-seat (not just push down on) all cable connectors

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, this is a good idea and I will pull it all
apart next week when the wife is out of town.  ;)

> The fact that this occurred just after a hardware change makes it even
> more likely you have some sort of H/W problem.
>
> Maybe that's not your trouble, but it's always a warm fuzzy feeling to
> be certain your hardware is working properly.
>
> BTW - The fact that a machine ran Windows without problems does NOT
> prove the hardware is OK :-)

But it did run Prime 95 for over 48 hours under Windows without
trouble.  :)  It also spent countless hours running Microsoft Flight
Simulator without issue.  But although, it's the same motherboard, RAM,
and CPU, all the drives are different and it's in a new case.  Thus
everything has been disturbed and the possibility of a loose connection
is high.

Here's another error in the backend log where the backend crashed:

*** glibc detected *** /usr/bin/mythbackend: double free or corruption
(fasttop)
: 0x00007f3304dd0420 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6[0x7f3318c49bc8]
/lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x76)[0x7f3318c4b786]
/usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN6QGList6removeEPv+0x39)[0x7f331aa28739]
/usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN7QObject18disconnectInternalEPKS_iS1_ii+0x1af)[0x
7f331a7bf02f]
/usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN7QObject10disconnectEPKS_PKcS1_S3_+0x282)[0x7f331
a7bf362]
/usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN7QObjectD2Ev+0xc2)[0x7f331a7bf8d2]
/usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN16QSqlResultSharedD0Ev+0x4c)[0x7f331a9d4a2c]
/usr/lib/libmyth-0.21.so.0(_ZN9MSqlQueryD1Ev+0x72)[0x7f331c00f0d2]
/usr/bin/mythbackend[0x450bdd]
/usr/bin/mythbackend[0x4708e1]
/usr/bin/mythbackend[0x47a931]
/usr/qt/3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3(_ZN15QThreadInstance5startEPv+0x6b)[0x7f331a7608ab]
/lib/libpthread.so.0[0x7f33196d6027]
/lib/libc.so.6(clone+0x6d)[0x7f3318ca4fdd]

A Google search only turned up one or two results that didn't mean
anything to me.  Is this more "hardware error" evidence?

Thanks,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!