[mythtv-users] Hardware h264 via plug-in card?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Oct 3 17:19:53 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2008, at 9:58 AM, jedi wrote:

>>> And until it has linux drivers *and* mythtv supports more than mpeg2
>>> acceleration it will be quite useless.
>>    You make it sound like Linux never gets support for this sort of
>> thing.
>>
>>    Given how things are going with the Hauppauge 1212, that's a
>> somewhat
>> narrowminded view of how things have gone lately when it comes to
>> Linux
>> and 3rd party support.
>
> I thought he was stating a fact. He's warning people to not rush out
> and buy this expecting it to work until there is support under linux
> and support in mythtv for it - just like people shouldn't run out and
> buy the Hauppauge 1212 unless they want to run an unstable version of
> mythtv, compile experimental software, etc.

I "ran out" (actually walked over to my keyboard) and bought a 1212, and
I do not wish to run an unstable version of Myth, or compile
experimental S/W etc.

I bought it because:

I was afraid it might be stopped by the Hollywood types.

I knew it could capture under Windows, and vmware was heading towards
USB 2.0 support.

I knew Linux and Myth support would happen eventually.

I love new toys.

beww