[mythtv-users] Xbox front-end advice please

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Fri Oct 3 15:47:36 UTC 2008

> Just about to start getting the bits I need to build a Xbox frontend.  Have
> found a couple of HOWTOs but any advise would be appreciated.  I use Ubuntu
> on my server so I would like to use a Ubuntu bast distro for the frontend or
> failing that a Debian one.  Key thing is that I need like to keep the
> version numbers in sync and would rather not  compile from source.  I have a
> few questions:-

You may be able to get Ubuntu onto an Xbox but I don't know if you would be
able to get a mythfrontend running very well. I think what you are looking
for is Xebian. It is a Debian distribution that has been modified to support
the xbox. There several ways to get it on to your xbox. Here are some
threads about installing mythtv and xebian on an xbox:

Even with Xebian the xbox is barely able to handle SD stuff. I prefer using
XBMC. You can google around to find out more about that. Here is a recent
thread discussing XBMC:

> Which HOWTO do people recommend?
>
> Do I need a modded Xbox, if so what should I be looking/asking for?
>
> Is any pre 360 Xbox OK or do I need to look for certain versions?
>
> Do I need to use a keyboard adapter or can I do a net install with a USB
> Wireless adapter, if so what ones should wold?

This isn't the best place for answering these questions. You will need a
moded Xbox. You should seek out the Xbox hacking communities like:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php

There are a lot ways to skin a cat when it comes to modding an xbox. They
will be able to help you with all of that. And is a better place for those
discussions than this list.