[mythtv-users] NVidia card lacking Xv overlay

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Thu Oct 2 04:58:30 UTC 2008

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> DaveD wrote:
>
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> AIUI, NVIDIA's recommendation is for applications to start supporting
>>> the new OpenGL-based approach (on which Myth devs, among others, are
>>> working).
>>>

>> This thread was over a year ago.  Any progress on this issue?  Does 0.22
>> allow adjustment of brightness/contrast on playback?  Will we ever see
>> that functionality again (I'm running 0.21 and see no sign of it
>> working)?  Will I ever get the efficiency of my old AGP FX5200 that used
>> less CPU on my 3200+ Athlon than my 7600GS does on my 4200+ dual core
>> system?   Am I missing something by not compiling from source (instead
>> of using Axel's excellent packages)?  Is Nvidia still insisting on not
>> providing the xv overlay?  Do I need to alter my xorg.conf settings to
>> get the new functionality?  Does anyone know of newer/different cards
>> that provide the overlay (newer Nvidia, ATI, Matrox?) or that support
>> some new standard?  If the Myth devs support the OpenGL-based approach
>> that Mr. Dean mentions, can we expect similar actions from the devs of
>> Mplayer, Xine, VLC, etc, etc, and will it lighten the load on the CPU
>> the way the xv overlay did?
>>

> If you still have the card, go back to your FX5200 card, and use the
> proprietary nvidia driver. Then make sure that the correct switches are
> set in mythfrontend setup.. yes, you will have to carefully go through
> each page... I think it is under Appearance, but it might be in TV Settings.
> When set correctly, this will give you the menu 'G' and 'F'
> capabilities: G for brightness, contrast,hue etc on record and F for
> playback. But with nvidia cards, I don't think the nv driver can do any
> of that. And newer boards after the 6000 series do not have chromakey
> which cuts off certain capabilities
I still have the card.  It's running in my Wife's computer, working
beautifully with the legacy proprietary driver, still using less CPU to
play back HD recordings than the new system.  I tried to buy a new one
for my new FE/BE/main Myth HDPC but couldn't find the 5200 in a PCIE
(only AGP).  I tried the oldest PCIE I could find (think it was a 5500)
but it didn't support the overlay (wouldn't run on the legacy driver).

So, I take it no one with PCIE motherboards have picture controls
working?  That just seems unlikely.  Anyone?

DaveD