[mythtv-users] mythbackend -> iPod Touch

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 20:51:00 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2008, at 1:40 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>> So many ways.
>>> http://www.google.com/search?q=mythtv+ipod
>>
>> Maybe I'm missing the point. If I am please let me know. (gnetly///)
>>
>> I went that way before I wrote to the list. Everything I'm finding
>> *seems* to be for older, sort of static iPods. Convert the video,
>> transfer it over USB, watch it. The iPod Touch is just a portable
>> device that's always on our network. Conceptually it's just another
>> machine that runs a browser & applications. I don't want to convert
>> anything before it gets watched on the device. I just want to stream
>> it like I was streaming to my PC and let it do whatever is required to
>> format it to its screen. If that doesn't work, because maybe the
>> device doesn't have enough processing power, then I'll look into
>> conversion. The best interface for me would be a browser interface
>> into the recorded programs list and then click and play.
>>
>> Thanks for the ideas.
>
> Yeah, you are missing the point that the iPod can only play back
> specific quicktime formats natively so everything else will need to be
> converted to that format which is what everything in the google
> results does.

So everything she's streaming from YouTube and www.nbc.com is all
Quicktime? I'm surprised. I'll check that out when my wife and son get
home. It was my impression that they were simply surfing the web and
watching whatever they wanted to watch. If that only works when the
server has quickTime formats then I'll have to convert as you suggest.
Thanks.

> Someone made a way to convert the files on the fly and stream over
> mythweb, but I never got it to work.
> The info for that is here: http://chriscarey.com/projects/mythtv/iphone/

thanks,
Mark