[mythtv-users] "Dummies" guide to Mythbuntu Diskless Server

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Wed Oct 1 08:05:13 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> Is there a less-technical guide to setting up and using the Mythbuntu
>> Diskless Server?  I purchased an Acer Aspire One, which has a really
>> small 8GB solid-state drive.  I have a desktop full MythTV install
>> (backend and frontend) working fine, and would like to use it to boot
>> my Aspire One.  However, I haven't found anything about Mythbuntu's
>> Diskless Server feature that isn't really technical.
>
> Did you try the Mythbuntu control panel and tell it that you're going
> to use a diskless frontend and then install mythbuntu on the new
> machine as a diskless frontend?

But this doesn't seem like a "diskless" install at all. The OP said
there's an SSD drive which is presumably where he plans to have
everything run from, right?

A true "diskless" install would be via netboot and all that stuff. This
is really just a normal install (though with only an 8GB disk)...

Dean.