[mythtv-users] Pinnacle PCTV HD 800i - can't tune any ATSC channels

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 09:33:27 UTC 2008

I have a Pinnacle PCTV HD 800i card and I decided to give OTA ATSC (in the
US) a try. I know that reception is not a problem as the HDTV tunes the
channels directly from the antenna fine. I followed the instructions on the
wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Pinnacle_PCTV_HD_Card_(800i)<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Pinnacle_PCTV_HD_Card_%28800i%29>),
except I didn't install the linuxtv drivers, because there comments
indicating that it worked out of the box with Ubuntu 8.10. Running dmesg
indicates that the firmware and drivers are loaded for the card. I add the
card in mythtv setup as a DVB card. It shows up as a Samsung, but from my
searches others have indicated this is how it showed up for them. In other
threads I followed the suggestions and tried going into the "recording
options" when I add the card and checking the item about using the card on
demand only and unchecking the EIT option. I also saw somewhere the
suggestion to bump the signal timeout up to 3250 from 3000. However, when I
do a full scan I still get zero signal and snr and no channels will tune in.
I have tested the analog portion by adding the card as a V4L card and I was
able to tune analog channels. I have removed that configuration because I
know that trying to use both the analog and digital portions of the card
cause problems for some, and I am only interested in getting the digital OTA
anyway.

I am currently running Mythbuntu 8.10 with the latest kernel
2.6.27-9-generic. Should I install the drivers from linuxtv? Are there other
things I can try? I found several messages with individuals indicating they
are using this card with great success, so I would love to know what I need
to do to get it up and going.