[mythtv-users] OT: Converting VHS to digital with Ion vcr2pc

Jonny B jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 05:56:27 UTC 2008

My mother has hundreds of old home movies and whatnot that she wants
to convert to digital so she can get rid of the tapes. She saw this
here thing, and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with it.

http://www.ionaudio.com/vcr2pc

It *appears* to do the encoding in hardware, but I am not sure. I was
hoping someone that has used one could say. Otherwise, would it not be
easier to get a USB capture device with hardware encoding (which can
be had much cheaper) and plug her VCR into it? I am half tempted to
tell her to get a Happauge HD-PVR and when she's done converting all
her VHS tapes, then she could give it to me, and I could use it for HD
capture. This seems like a more logical purchase to me than a VCR with
a USB port and a extra set of video inputs on it. Anybody?

~Jon