[mythtv-users] Myth records until drive is full (auto-expire is off)

Gert mythtv-users at gert.robben.nu
Sat Nov 29 22:07:17 UTC 2008

>> MythTV keeps on recording until the recordings partition is full.
>> When that happens, /var starts filling up because Myth logs "No space left on device" about every femtosecond.
>> And, when /var is full... well... all hell breaks loose of course.
>>
>> I've also tried setting (translated from Dutch; may be not accurate):
>> Frontend -> Settings -> TV -> General -> Extra disk space
>> to 10GB. But with that set, and less than 10GB of free space, MythTV still starts recordings.
>>
>> Note that I don't use Auto-Expire (the logs say "Nothing to expire", which is correct).
>> Might the problem be that free-space-management only gets done thru auto-expire policy, and not thru new recording policy?
>> I mean, that MythTV keeps on recording no matter what, and expects Auto-Expire to clean up enough for new recordings?
>
> Yep.  If you want myth (a DV/R/ as in Recorder) to stop recording,
> restart the master backend with --nosched until you watch/delete some shows.
>
> Or, better, just enable autoexpire on the recording rules/recordings
> about which you care the least.
>
> Either way, when you're out of space you're missing something (either
> the shows that are currently airing if you stop Myth from recording or
> old already recorded shows if you use autoexpire).  The difference is
> that with autoexpire enabled, you can control what you miss--i.e.
> autoexpire by prioirity or by age or ...

Too bad, I was afraid it worked like that.

I know why auto-expire exists and that it has its advantages, but my parents prefer nothing to auto-expire. If they want to record something new, they want to manually decide what has to be deleted.
Of course you can tune auto-expiration by giving priorities in multiple ways, but that is too complex for my folks. They don't want to think a lot, they just want to watch a bit of TV ;)

I figure it would be trivial to fix, by a MythTV developer that is.

Anyway, thanks for answering,

Gert