[mythtv-users] Myth records until drive is full (auto-expire is off)

Gert mythtv-users at gert.robben.nu
Sat Nov 29 21:41:38 UTC 2008

MythTV keeps on recording until the recordings partition is full.
When that happens, /var starts filling up because Myth logs "No space left on device" about every femtosecond.
And, when /var is full... well... all hell breaks loose of course.

I've also tried setting (translated from Dutch; may be not accurate):
Frontend -> Settings -> TV -> General -> Extra disk space
to 10GB. But with that set, and less than 10GB of free space, MythTV still starts recordings.

Note that I don't use Auto-Expire (the logs say "Nothing to expire", which is correct).
Might the problem be that free-space-management only gets done thru auto-expire policy, and not thru new recording policy?
I mean, that MythTV keeps on recording no matter what, and expects Auto-Expire to clean up enough for new recordings?

I use:
MythTV 0.21.svn20080706-0.0 (from debian-multimedia.org)
Debian Lenny
single Backend, single Frontend, on the same machine
seperate recordings partition

Any advice? Thanks,

Gert