[mythtv-users] Advice on Building a Quiet MythTV Box?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Nov 29 01:06:40 UTC 2008

On Nov 28, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> I don't think it is settings. I've put a huge amount of effort into
> getting the settings right. As near as possible I have no processing
> of the image. I have no scaling. I have no deinterlacing. I have
> no TVDeflicker - nothing to degrade the image. I've set this up with
> two
> different VIA based motherboards, one using S-Video, one component.
> Component was an improvement on S-Video, but neither gave quite the
> vibrance of colour, clarity of image, and smoothness of playback
> that my two old DVRs do (a Pace Twin and A Thomson HDH4000). It's
> not that it's bad. It's really rather good, just not as good.
>
> Best I've had out of MythTV is using the VGA to Scart circuit, but
> that's difficult these day because most drivers screw up interlacing
> when using Xv. I'm waiting for delivery of a Radeon 7000 from
> Hong Kong, which I'm hoping will allow me to to build a new frontend
> with Scart output. Even using VGA to Scart the image is very slightly
> less clear than from my DVRs, although it is then negligable.
>
> Maybe the Comcast, or the TV it's driving isn't much good.

I just wanted to clarify for anyone running across this post that
MythTV does not have a problem displaying beautiful video comparable
to what you can get from any other system. You either have a hardware
or setting problem (since you've made sure your settings are all good,
I'll go with a hardware problem) if it's not as good. MythTV is not
the problem.