[mythtv-users] FiOS and Windowing

Ivan Kowalenko kichigaimentat at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 01:51:11 UTC 2008

Evening all, and happy Thanksgiving to those in the US.

I'm living in New Jersey with my aunt and uncle while I attend
college. Being that this isn't my house, I really don't have much say
in what services they spend their money on. That being said, due to
the past few chances in the channel line-up by Comcast, removing their
favorite and most watched television channels, they're considering
moving from analog cable by ComCast (which, judging by their fees,
they're being WAAAY over charged for) to Verizon FiOS. Currently, my
back-end is a Hauppauge PVR-150 connected directly into the cable line
in my room. If they switch to FiOS, what are my options as far as
using MythTV? Do the FiOS boxes have Firewire output, or should I look
into using an IR blaster?

As far as my front-end is concerned, it's a laptop. A MacBook Pro 15"
to be precise. And given its relatively large screen, I use MythTV in
a windowed mode (640x480) and use the rest of the screen to do stuff
like e-mail and web browsing (I've actually got West Wing playing in
the window next to this one right now). However, times have come up
when I'm doing nothing EXCEPT watching TV. I'm wondering if there's
some kind of super-secret short-cut for switching to a native-res full-
screen mode? I'd be OK with going through the settings to change it,
except I can't type in the res settings. All I can do is increase or
decrease the resolution settings one at a time. Is there some kind of
trick to being able to enter numbers, because there's a lot of
individual numbers between 640 and 1440, and if I could just type this
in, it would make things dramatically easier to work woth.