[mythtv-users] Best distro for PS3

Adam Skinner kingmoffa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 15:47:22 UTC 2008

> > Jon Bishop wrote:
> >> For reference, if you already have a backend setup, the upnp
> client
> >> on
> >> the ps3 detects all your media... but not nearly as slick and
> >> interface as myth, and doesn't play back anything I've transcoded.
> >>
> >> ~Jon
> > Personally, I think UPnP streaming from GameOS does perfectly fine
> for
> > its intended purpose.  The only major thing its lacking is livetv,
> but
> > then that's what the TV you have it attached to is for.
> >
> > For transcoding, lossless transcodes will work just fine on the PS3.
> > Also, if you re-multiplex your old transcodes to an avi, they
> should
> > be
> > playable as well.
> >
> > <snip lots of talk of cool hardware with no support>
>
> So, as I understand it, the system itself has PLENTY of power to do
> this playback, but someone really familiar with the PS3 would need
> make a PS3 native frontend in order to unlock that power? Is a
> shame.
> I had no intentions of using a backend, but was thinking that with
> the
> blueray remote, it would make a very viable frontend player. I'm too
> attached to the myth interfect to use upnp on the ps3 though.

I did have my ps3 working pretty well with mythtv using the native
mythtv frontend application. (I've just upgraded HDD so have to do it
all again).

Points to bear in mind - access to graphics subsytem is very restricted.
Normally this means no video playback either, but some clever folks have
a patches to allow the cell cpu to do some work and SD video plays back
fine.

You can use your bluetooth PS3 controller but this has problems
switching between GameOS and linux - you need to re sync the control pad
each time i think.

Your limited to 256mb ram in the ps3 , the other 256mb is used for the
graphics. I believe there is some work just completed to allow the 256mb
of graphics ram to be used as swap, making linux a lot faster. Esp when
used with lightweight desktop like xfce or others. (not gnome/kde)

Another point against the GameOS for watching recordings is that , if
like me you have sometimes crappy digital TV reception - the ps3 media
player will go nuts. I've had audio out of sync, recordings refusing to
play and some just stopping in the middle. Mythtv with its seektable
handles it so much better.