[mythtv-users] Best distro for PS3

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 10:40:37 UTC 2008

On Nov 26, 2008, at 4:50 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> Jon Bishop wrote:
>> For reference, if you already have a backend setup, the upnp client
>> on
>> the ps3 detects all your media... but not nearly as slick and
>> interface as myth, and doesn't play back anything I've transcoded.
>>
>> ~Jon
> Personally, I think UPnP streaming from GameOS does perfectly fine for
> its intended purpose.  The only major thing its lacking is livetv, but
> then that's what the TV you have it attached to is for.
>
> For transcoding, lossless transcodes will work just fine on the PS3.
> Also, if you re-multiplex your old transcodes to an avi, they should
> be
> playable as well.
>
> <snip lots of talk of cool hardware with no support>

So, as I understand it, the system itself has PLENTY of power to do
this playback, but someone really familiar with the PS3 would need to
make a PS3 native frontend in order to unlock that power? Is a shame.
I had no intentions of using a backend, but was thinking that with the
blueray remote, it would make a very viable frontend player. I'm too
attached to the myth interfect to use upnp on the ps3 though.

~Jon