[mythtv-users] Problems with External USB Drives

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 15:13:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Jonno <jonnojohnson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm, the drive froze during the defrag.
> "bad write of 16773120 bytes to /media/disk/.fsr/ag1/tmp7231: Input/output error
> could not remove tmpdir: /media/disk/.fsr/ag0: Input/output error.."
>
> Will try again. Any suggestions?

I recall reading somewhere (xfs man pages, perhaps?) that the XFS
tools intentionally bomb if they get an IO error from the hardware. I
have had problems with that in the past. And, in fact, my external
drive started having issues yesterday morning.

I'd guess that your drive works fine until it happens to hit one of
the bad sectors, and then it hangs. At least, that's what I think is
happening for my drive.

In my case, I left the drive unplugged for a while, then plugged it
back in and it seems "happier" for the moment, so I left the machine
(and drive) running, and hopefully it will continue to be happy until
I can get out to buy some sort of replacement.

--
aaron

"Oh oh oh. I'm incoherent with excitement. Please tell me what fascinating
bit of badger-sputumly inconsequential trivia you will assail me with next."
        -- Arthur Dent