[mythtv-users] Recovering recordings from corrupted partition

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 13:14:45 UTC 2008

On Nov 25, 2008, at 10:23 AM, Torsten Crass wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> recently the ext3 partition on which I used to store all my MythTV
> DVB-T
> recordings got severely corrupted (please, don't ask me what stupid
> thing I did... ;-). I tried to use file recovery / carving tools like
> "PhotoRec" and "foremost" to scan for putative remnants of those files
> and found many things (including the png images created by MythTV as
> live previews), but not a single mpg. So I started wondering whether
> the
> mpg files created by MythTV from (German) DVB-T streams might exhibit
> different characteristics from what e.g. foremost expects to see at
> the
> start and/or end of a typical mpg file. However, since I obviously
> don't
> have any MythTV recordings left, I don't have any files I could
> examine
> in order to tell foremost which file signatures to look for.
>
> To this end -- unless you have some better idea --, I'd like to ask
> you
> folks out there who happen to also rely on DVB-T in Germany to run the
> shell script below on your recordings directory and to post its output
> back into the forum. With the information thus gathered I might be
> able
> to define suitable DVB-T mpg header and footer patterns for foremost.

My suggestion is to go to www.grc.com and buy spinrite6. It's THE hard
drive recovery tool for anyone that doesn't want to spent a boatload.
It is reasonably priced (I think $25? it's been so long, I can't
recall) and I've saved many hard drives from premature data loss with
it.

Also... I gotta ask, cause you asked me not to... how did this
corruption happen?

~Jon