[mythtv-users] Just how great can VDPAU be?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 09:58:03 UTC 2008

2008/11/26 Robin Hill <myth at robinhill.me.uk>

> On Wed Nov 26, 2008 at 09:26:11AM +0000, Ian Clark wrote:
>
> > 2008/11/21 Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net>
> [snip]
> > >
> > There are PCIe to AGP bridge chips out there. That's how the first AGP
> > Geforcce 6600GTs worked, the chip was only a PCIe part, bridged for AGP.
> > (This was not true of the faster 6800 AGP parts).
> >
> Surely that would be PCI at the time, not PCIe?

No, it was in the early days of PCIe, when AGP was still very prominent. The
6800 series (NV 40 series if my memory serves me well) were AGP or AGP
bridged to PCIe, however the 6600, released later, were PCIe parts, that
were briged back to AGP when required. (It was weird seing my AGP card
reported as PCIe x8!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6600GT (The bit at the bottom deals with the
NV43)

I feel old now. :)