[mythtv-users] Firewire issues w/ 0.21 in Mythbuntu 8.10

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 25 22:21:54 UTC 2008

kanetse at gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> OK, so I just setup my firewire connection between my Motorola DCT-3412
>> STB and my Myth box (Mythbuntu 8.10, obviously).  I have the card setup,
>> the lineups setup, and can tune the channels.  Everything seems to look
>> OK via plugreport too.  But when I just tried to start a recording on an
>> HD channel only available via Firewire, and I get the following errors
>> in my backend log:
>>
>> 2008-11-24 21:00:17.491 LFireDev(00159AFFFE163F4A): SignalReset(173->174)
>> 2008-11-24 21:00:17.506 LFireDev(00159AFFFE163F4A):
>> SignalReset(173->174): Updating device list -- begin
>> 2008-11-24 21:00:17.807 LFireDev(00159AFFFE163F4A):
>> SignalReset(173->174): Updating device list -- end
>> 2008-11-24 21:00:17.859 LFireDev(00159AFFFE163F4A), Warning: No Input in
>>
>> I have also tried using test-mpeg2 and was able to record an mpg file,
>> but its very jumpy and choppy via mplayer.  I tried opening that mpg
>> file using Windows Media Player, but it complains about the codec used
>> on it and won't play it.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas on what those errors mean, and how to get
>> Firewire working?  I did find this article:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Firewire, but that seems to be
>> geared towards myth 0.20, and when I look at my backend startup script
>> it has some firewire priming using mythprime already built into it.  So
>> I'm at a bit of a loss here.
>>

> I have this error message appearing my logs as well, although my
> recordings seem to be unaffected.  From this thread, it looks like
> it's a problem in the kernel:

> ... but I don't think Ubuntu 8.10 uses a kernel that old (< 2.6.23).
> That's about the only discussion I can see on this particular problem.
>
> Personally, I'm using CentOS 5.2 (2.6.18); but have been considering
> upgrading to another distro with a more recent kernel to avoid this
> problem, as I believe it is causing the occasional recording to become
> truncated.
>
> So keep us updated if you manage to get rid of this problem.

I just looked at that post and, while it describes my problem almost
exactly, it says that a kernel higher that 2.6.23 has it fixed.  Well,
my Mythbuntu 8.10 is 2.6.27 so I'm not sure why I'm still having the
issue.  Could there be some old 1394 modules or something causing some
issues?

Also, if I can't get this working, would adding an HDHomeRun help?  I
was thinking about adding one anyway, but some shows that I record are
on channels like Sci-Fi HD and USA HD, and to the best of my knowledge,
those are only available through the firewire due to the 5C encryption.
Looks like I'm at Comcast's mercy, huh?  ;-)

Thanks,
Harry