[mythtv-users] Problems with External USB Drives

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Tue Nov 25 15:41:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 08:17 -0600, Jonno wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Mythbuntu 8.04 with an external 750GB USB drive to store
> my recordings. I've had various problems over the past year with the
> external drives. First the power brick failed and now the drive just
> seems to be locking up after a short while of working.
> I thought overfilling the drive might be an issue so I set the "free
> space" in myth to 5GB thinking it would be plenty. However it is now
> locking up before 24hrs have gone by. It always works for a short
> while after I restart. I don't know how to debug this. Is there a way
> in Myth to monitor the drive temp while it is being used? It doesn't
> feel too hot but I can't think what else to check. Do you think 5GB
> free space is enough on a 750GB drive? Anything else to look for?
>
> Jonno.

I had an external USB enclose that had a power brick failure. The drive
would work for a few minutes to a few hours and then fail. I ended up
opening the power brick and replacing four failed capacitors with good
ones. So far the drive/enclosure has been stable. I do not use it for
Myth, but for backups of 25G plus so the load should be similar to a
recording from Myth.

Cheers,
James