[mythtv-users] 0.22 Release Schedule?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Nov 25 15:31:41 UTC 2008

On Nov 25, 2008, at 6:55 AM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>
>> You can follow the roadmap to see which bugs those are:
>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/roadmap
>
> Let me pose a modified form of the original question: Could someone
> with an
> understanding of the issues behind these tickets post a summary of
> what the
> current number of tickets means, and based on past experience what
> one could
> expect at this point ?

You're asking someone to post a summary of the issues behind 145
tickets? Each ticket has its own summary if you want to take a
look. :) And actually, number of tickets has no bearing on when a
release happens. A single ticket being fixed might warrant a release
if the ticket is important enough (like the move to Schedules Direct).

> For entertainment value only, of course. No warranties expressed or
> implied,
> your mileage may vary, check local listings for exact times, offer
> void in
> Florida and Michigan.

In my experience (I've been following this list for over 3 years), you
will see major features complete, then suddenly a bunch of tickets
will be moved to the next release as it's decided they are too much
work to get into this release or they depend on work happening later
in order to fix correctly. Then an announcement is usually made
saying, "We are going to try to release next week" or something like
that.

Also in my experience, I can say that it greatly depends on how much
time developers have to work on it. Also, I notice that developers
generally get a lot of work done when devs have time off. We saw a lot
of great new things happening over the summer (redoing the UI) and
you'll likely see a bunch of stuff fixed the last couple of weeks of
the year. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say a release would
happen late Winter or early Spring.

I can say that you will likely not see a release until the entire UI
rework is done, HD-PVR support is solid, and now probably not until
the recently announced nVidia API is fully supported since Isaac has
shown interest in that with a proof of concept.

If you want to get a good idea of development pace and when to expect
a release, follow the -dev list. Specifically, follow the features I
just mentioned.

-Brad

Disclaimer: This is all just guessing, but it makes sense to me. :)