[mythtv-users] frontend has gone dark

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Mon Nov 24 21:02:36 UTC 2008

On 2008-11-24 10:22 -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Nov 24, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Wookey wrote:
>
> > Sorry to bother you, people, but I've broekn my frontend and don;t
> > really know how to fix it.
> >
> > The short version: The frontend is almost entirely dark blue on dark
> > blue. I can just see the bevels on dialogs and the square where the TV
> > picture should be. No text, no graphics, but audio works in TV
> > playback (no pics). The interface appears to be operating normally
> > except for one extra dialog saying who-knows-what after the 'scaling
> > images' thing.
>
> The problem is likely with your video driver, not mythtv. Until you
> get OpenGL working on your card, you can turn off OpenGL by launching
> mythfrontend with mythfrontend -O ThemePainter=qt

Spot on. Looks like libgl1-mesa-glx and libgl1-mesa-dri got removed.
They should be at least a 'recommends' of the mythtv-frontend package I
guess.

That -O rune you suggested didn't make any difference.

> Using that from a terminal will also let you see what error messages
> (in any) are happening.

Lot of X whinges, which makes sense I guess.

> So.. mess with your video card driver (install the correct kernel
> module or downgrade if the new one you're using is broken) and you'll
> find MythTV is happy with OpenGL again.

Indeed. Thank you kindly. Much appreciated. I now understand how
things fit together just a little bit better (I've always been
exceedingly vague about all that DRI, GLX, MESA, X stuff, having
little idea what uses what).

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/