[mythtv-users] Storage Solution: Can ya help a brother out?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 18:20:43 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 11:38 PM, vamythguy <vamythguy at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The Problem:
>>
>> After installing the fan and the memory, the machine refuses to boot.
>> There is no video, the post code indicates it's booting, but the HD and
>> CD/DVD just keep cycling.  I have tried just about every combo of stripped
>> down mobo I can but nothing (other than the cycling drives).  My media
>> remains orphaned.

1) You say stripped, but it sounds like your drives are still connected.
Unplug them from the board / card, and if it's a RAID card remove that from
the board as well. You want nothing more than CPU, RAM and video hooked to
the motherboard in instances like this.

2) Have you removed the board from the PC? Maybe it's grounding out on
something.

3) Hook up a PC speaker to the motherboard and listen for beep codes.

Good topic  though, I'm going to be upgrading my backend storage soon and
this post asks some of the same questions I have. Being a Windows admin by
trade, LVM and software RAID frighten me.