[mythtv-users] I just want to make a wife-friendly MythTV system

Jonny B jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 06:59:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:
> I have a mostly-working MythTV setup involving a DCH-3200 and
> a firewire connection.  For the unprotected channels, it works
> OK, but if you try to record from a protected channel, the
> backend will hang or crash.  With these problems, it just isn't
> anywhere close to being "wife-friendly".  I can't teach her how to
> use it, because invariably she'll try to record a protected
> channel, crash it, think she wrecked it, and not want to touch
> it for the rest of her life.
>
> I just want something that will let me record ANY channel
> -- SD or HD -- period, without hangs or crashes.

Unfortunately, the cablecos have made this impossible. However, the
HD-PVR will be the future solution. Until such a time that myth 0.22
becomes stable though, there is no WAF-accepted solution to tuning HD
channels off the cable. Lobby your FCC to force the CableCos to send
their basic cable+expanded cable digital channels unencrypted? As soon
as the CableCos stop requiring people to rent their set top boxes, the
solution will be simple. Until then, we're stuck with whatever
workaround gets implemented. For now that's the Hauppage device.
Hopefully at some point we can capture the HDMI signal that's going to
the TV. That would be ideal.

~Jon