[mythtv-users] I want mythfrontend number keys to just be number keys not cellphone texting keys

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 21:00:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 1:31 PM, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 7:26 AM, cal <cal at graggrag.com> wrote:
> > ryan patterson wrote:
> >> When I am typing in a dialog box in mythfrontend (for instance the
> >> title field in the rip DVD myth transcode daemon dialog), pressing the
> >> number keys on my keyboard brings up a small menu of letters and
> > [ ... ]
> >>
> >> I tried and failed to find an option to disable this in the
> >> mythfrontend setup menus.  How can I turn off this "feature"?
> >
> > On frontend, go Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Appearance. On about the
> > 5th screen there's "Use line edit virtual keyboards". Try toggling it.
> >
> > cheers, Cal
> >

> Thanks for the info.  I will try that setting tonight.  I hope it
> solves the issue.
>
> If that is the solution, the real problem is that the developer called
> this feature "line edit virtual keyboards".  That is a horrible
> description.  I have no idea what it does.  I certainly never would
> have guess that it makes my NUMBER KEYS behave like a CELL PHONE
> inputing a text message.
>
> --

That feature enables a keyboard that displays on the screen that you can
navigate with arrow keys (for example) to enter text.  I believe it gets rid
of the cell phone style text entry, but then you're looking at a virtual
keyboard, while typing on your physical keyboard.  And you have to press
"enter" twice (once to start entering text, once to enable the virtual
keyboard) to make this work.  It's probably better than using the cell phone
style mode, but not a lot better, if you ask me.  But anyway, the name seems
apt to me;  you're turning on the virtual keyboard because of the desired
side effect that it turns off the cellphone entry mode, and it would be
really sweet if you could do one without the other.

-Josh