[mythtv-users] Low Power Frontends (in anticipation of nvidia's new API)

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 16:01:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> In theory an Intel Atom based system could work well with VDPAU.
> Phoronix posted some preliminary benchmarks with what NVidia has
> released running on a 9800GTX 512MB using a h.264 file that NVidia
> references in their release notes that comes from the sample
> collection from the mplayer web site.
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_vdpau&num=1
>
> The results look quite good and should put CPU requirements well
> within what the Atom could supply. Obviously I wouldn't buy hardware
> now based on the idea that it could work in the future.

I thought about that when a friend purchased an Acer AspireOne and I
helped him put Ubuntu on it a couple of days ago. (it wasn't too hard,
but he still has problems with audio/mic). What I noticed was it's
responsiveness. Seemed kinda klunky.If they could improve the speed a
bit (which I figure they will soon) and match that with the new nvidia
driver, then it could be a great frontend. I see Apple putting this
combo in the next AppleTV

--
Brad Fuller