[mythtv-users] Remote suddenly stopped working

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Thu Nov 20 12:46:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 13:16 +1100, Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
> On 20/11/08 1:01 PM, "Nick Morrott" <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 20/11/2008, Bruce Nordstrand <brucen at ksl.com.au> wrote:

> >> I have EXACTLY the same problem with my MythBuntu build - working one day,
> >>  not the next. I have done as you have above with zero success. No log
> >>  messages, dmesg reports everything is loaded.
> >>
> >>  I will be watching this thread to see how it results. If nothing surfaces I
> >>  am switching to MythDora, I am quickly growing tired of MythBuntu.....
> >
> > Did either of you install updates (either automatically or manually)
> > prior to the remote stopping working? A new kernel or LIRC version,
> > perhaps?
> That I can't be sure of, MythBuntu does auto upgrade I think. I did go into
> MythBuntu control center and remove the remote, restart the machine, add the
> remote back and restart again with no change. WAF is not high at the moment
> due to the need to have a keyboard in the lounge room.
>
> Cheers
> Bruce

Do the LIRC drivers detect your IR receiver? You mention that you both
use MCE remotes, care to post the USB info from them. There are several
different versions of the MCE hardware.

Try to shut down LIRC, unplug the USB connection and then reconnect it.
Check dmesg to see that the driver is actually seeing the hardware. In
my 8.10 setup if the driver does not detect the hardware then
no /dev/lirc0 device gets created. If the hardware is detected run mode2
without having LIRC running and press a few keys on the remote. It could
be an altered config file.

Cheers,
James