[mythtv-users] I want mythfrontend number keys to just be number keys not cellphone texting keys

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 12:25:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 7:07 AM, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I am typing in a dialog box in mythfrontend (for instance the
> title field in the rip DVD myth transcode daemon dialog), pressing the
> number keys on my keyboard brings up a small menu of letters and
> numbers.  This is like when you type in a text message on a cellphone.
>  I assume this functionality is for people who only use a remote
> control and do not have a full keyboard.  Also in the same dialogs the
> numeric keypad does not work at all.  I think this is related to the
> same root cause.
>
> It is a good idea to include this as an option.  But having this
> turned on by default is extremely annoying.  I'm not certain if it is
> turned on by default in all mythtv installations or just in the ubuntu
> package I installed.  I don't think myth always acted like this.  I
> only noticed it after I started using myth transcode daemon a few
> months ago.  But I have noticed this behavior in other sections of
> mythfrontend, not just MTD.
>
> I tried and failed to find an option to disable this in the
> mythfrontend setup menus.  How can I turn off this "feature"?
>
> --

I asked about this earlier in the week.  It seems you're supposed to like it
that way.  Maybe it will be "fixed" in .22...the only plausible workaround I
read was to enable the on-screen keyboard, and then somehow set that to be
transparent.  I never got around to trying that, nor do I know how to make
it transparent, but it sounds like it *could* work, though it's clearly not
the most elegant solution.  It certainly is annoying when using a full
qwerty keyboard; for example, to type the string "1080p" one currently must
press "11111111119999998888999999p" which apparently, to some, seems quite
logical.

I would also prefer that the cell-phone style input feature be disabled by
default, but simply enabled when needed (or at least, "disableable" with a
check box in a setup screen).  Of course, if there is no simple means of
doing this in the near future, I understand that it's not a top priority,
and probably will not grab the attention of the dev's.  I'm also using the
packages from the Ubuntu 8.10 repositories, in addition to Mythbuntu on some
systems (which are identical, as far as I can tell), and there seems to be
no option to turn this off.  Perhaps mentioning this directly to the
Mythbuntu team would make sense.

Good luck