[mythtv-users] Remote suddenly stopped working

John H arizonamythtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 04:12:30 UTC 2008

If you updated your kernel or you updated lirc, you'll mess up lirc if
you don't have all the necessary packages. I use Fedora and I always
download the associated kernel modules (kmdl's) when I upgrade the
kernel. I'm not familiar with mythbuntu but you may want to look into
that.

I'd also do

#cd /dev
#ls -al | grep lirc

How many entries do you have? I believe it should be two for each
device for example 4 total for a remote and one blaster.

Then I'd do a

#irw /dev/lircd

My remote uses /dev/lircd but yours could be different. It shouldn't
give you any errors so when you push the remote buttons it should give
you feedback on the screen of the button codes from the
/etc/lircd.conf file.