[mythtv-users] Possible to make a recording request?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Nov 19 22:35:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 09:05:30AM -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2008, at 8:48 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
>
> > I always thought it made no sense for outfits to spend millions, if
> > not
> > billions, of dollars in transmission facilities, and perhaps even
> > the launch
> > of spacecraft, in order to blast a program to as many people as
> > possible, and
> > then spend more money to complain that people are duplicating it and
> > furthering the distribution.
>
> You would understand if you were the one in that position and then saw
> zero DVD/BluRay/iTunes/WhateverIsCoolThisDecade sales for that program
> you spent millions creating. I've been directly affected by creations
> distributed illegally. It's not fun seeing your work all over the
> place and not getting a cent in return.

   ...been there, seen that.

   Stuff is pirated, stuff sells.
   Stuff is pirated, stuff flops.

   The pirated part is largely irrelevant.

   Your competition is probably more of a threat than kids that
collect stuff they might not ever even run/watch. They can make
your work pretty much invisible with ads and retail end caps and
such.