[mythtv-users] Possible to make a recording request?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Nov 19 20:09:48 UTC 2008

On Nov 19, 2008, at 9:17 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> I suspect Richard Stallman would disagree with you :-)
>
> It means that the business model for compensating artists is flawed,
> if it
> depends on secondary or tertiary distribution profits.
>
> The way to stop people from "stealing" your product is to make it
> available at
> so reasonable a price, and with so little effort, that it's not worth
> people's efforts to steal it.
>
> The truth these days with music and video is that in a  lot of cases
> it is far
> easier to steal it than to purchase it legally. If my options are to
> download
> it from the net, or drive across town (burning fuel) and go to the
> local
> mall, then quite possibly not find it at all, what am I likely to do?

This is why I never created anything for public consumption again. Why
spend my time when it's just going to be stolen? If you want people to
keep creating things worth having, you need to encourage them to do
so. The only real means of encouraging someone to create things worth
having is to pay them.

This is all a moot. This privately owned list forbids discussing
trading, lending, borrowing, etc other people's recordings. There are
plenty of other lists that allow and encourage it. Why does it need to
happen here, too?