[mythtv-users] Unable to get past Main Menu of Frontend

daryl sofasurferlinux at charter.net
Wed Nov 19 16:46:24 UTC 2008

David Watkins wrote:
> On 19/11/2008, daryl <sofasurferlinux at charter.net> wrote:
>
>> In the backend config, under "general" settings, it asks for a password.
>> It states that "0000" is the setting to use to allow acess by all users.
>> No problem.
>>
>> But, under "video sources" settings it asks for username and password.
>> I'm sure that the username should be the same as is found in
>> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt.
>>

> I think that's asking for a username and password for a subscription
> based source of TV listing data.  Are you intending to use one of
> those?  Your DVB source may have an Electronic Programme Guide which
> you can use instead.
>
> Where in the world are you, and what TV sources are you hoping to watch?
>

>> My question is, should the "video sources" password be "0000" as in the
>> general settings or should it be the same as listed in
>> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt?
>>

> So I'd say neither.  The 0000 is a mythtv security feature to stop me
> using my frontend to connect to your backend and the mysql.txt
> password settings are for the mythtv programme to access your mysql
> database.
>

>> Second question...
>> Under "general" settings I have my I.P address as 127.0.0.1. This was
>> recommended by someone in another forum.
>> In /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt it has DBHostname listed as
>> "localhost". Should I leave that or change it to "127.0.0.1"?
>>

> For a combined frontend/backend it shouldn't really matter because
> your computer probably has localhost defined as 127.0.0.1 and
> everything is on the same machine (though it can't hurt to try to be
> consistent).  If you ever want to use a remote frontend then you want
> to be putting in the machine's real IP address, so your remote
> frontend can find it.
>
> As I said for a FE/BE machine the defaults usually work fine, and from
> the logs you posted earlier, this bit seems to be working because the
> backend can connect to the database and the frontend can connect to
> the backend.
>

> If you want more help you really need to say:
>
> Your country

Michigan, United States
> Your TV Provider and medium (cable, dvb, OTA ...)

Antenna. When viewing through digital converter box hooked to tv, or
when viewing thought mplayer setup on computer I am able to receive 5.1,
5.2, 12.1, 12.2, 12.3, 12.4, 19.1, 19.2, 19.3, 19.4, 25.1, etc.
> Your listing provider  (Schedules Direct, xmltv, ...)

Schedules Direct is configured. I understand this is a free source.
> Your linux and mythtv distribution

Using Mythbuntu 8.10.