[mythtv-users] Using NetworkRecorder to watch TV streams

António Santos ansantos at fe.up.pt
Wed Nov 19 11:07:32 UTC 2008

Hi

> Another way to find that might be to use mplayer and take a good look
> at the (command line) output.
> After doing some reading (Of the source, no less), it seems I was wrong.
> RTSP is supported, RTCP is not.
>
> I'd suggest looking at the backend logs (Especially with "-v record"
> enabled), along with playing with mplayer to see what kind of problems
> you may be getting.
>
> Something else I noticed while I watched those streams in VLC on Windows
> was that they're using WMV/WMA for the video and audio respectively. I
> don't know if WMV is supported in Myth (I think it is, as VLC supports
> it, and VLC uses ffmpeg too), but that could be related.

Mplayer is unable to play the streams. I'll try to find some streams
on the internet that do not use WMV/WMA. Not an easy task... :)
For example, if I try to use mplayer to play:
rtsp://195.122.130.133/Massive%20Mag_xtreme_10
I get the following output:
Connecting to server 195.122.130.133[195.122.130.133]: 554...
STREAM_LIVE555, URL: rtsp://195.122.130.133/Massive%20Mag_xtreme_10
Stream not seekable!
  file format detected.
Failed to initiate "audio/X-ASF-PF" RTP subsession: RTP payload format
unknown or not supported
Failed to initiate "video/X-ASF-PF" RTP subsession: RTP payload format
unknown or not supported

As far as I know, when watching TV, MythTV uses an internal player. Is
it possible to play that player independently through the command
shell? I still don't know exactly how these things work internally in
MythTV...

Thanks,

António Santos
Portugal