[mythtv-users] Advice on Building a Quiet MythTV Box?

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed Nov 19 00:43:48 UTC 2008

>> Obviously, I'd also like the system to support a remote control.  And
>> have wireless networking support.  But is there anything
>else I should
>> desire in a system?

I'd say there is:

1. You probably want to get an IR Blaster so that you can power on/off your
sound system and/or cable box(s). Microsoft makes some good blasters that
come with a remote.

2. Also for the sound, try to get optical or composite output. Every
motherboard that I've used with built in analog sound outputs make buzzing
sounds when the hard drive is being accessed. Even nice Asus boards. Crazy.
But when I go with optical sound, it's super clear and perfect.

-Steve