[mythtv-users] Problem w/ nVidia drivers 177.80???

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 19 00:42:08 UTC 2008

James Crow wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 17:47 -0500, Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> James Crow wrote:

>>> Harry,
>>>
>>>   When you try to stop X with /etc/init.d/gdm stop, do you see an error
>>> on screen? If the X server is locked up then it may not immediately
>>> stop. I would recommend going back to 8.10, but that is your choice. A
>>> couple of notes:
>>>
>>> 1) EnvyNG is software that downloads and builds the current nvidia
>>> driver for you. You must install it with Synaptic, apt-get, etc before
>>> you can use it.
>>>
>>> 2) If you want to run the installer that you download from nvidia then
>>> you must stop X. If you have logged into X and it is locked up then this
>>> will cause problems. Restart your computer. Before you login (or before
>>> you run any programs if you use auto login) do a Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or F2).
>>> Login at the console then stop gdm. Run 'ps -ef | grep X' to see if X is
>>> still running. If it is switch back to it with Alt-F7 (or maybe it is
>>> F8) and hit Ctrl-Alt-Bksp to kill X. With GDM stopped it should not
>>> start back up.
>>>
>>> For a point of reference I am running 8.10 with a GeFroce 7300GS PCI-E
>>> card and drivers 177.80.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> James

>> I tried to kill X using "sudo kill <pid>" (obtained from "ps -ef |grep
>> X"), then ran the installer from an SSH session, and it still tells me
>> "You appear to be running an X server" message.  So I tried rebooting an
>> when it comes up, I press Ctrl-Alt-F1, and all I get is a blank screen.
>> No login or text or anything.  Mythbuntu installs the XFCE desktop, so
>> why would the GNOME desktop need to be stopped?  Or am I overthinking that?
>>
>> Any ideas?
>> Harry
>>

> Mythbuntu 8.10 does use gdm. I think it sets it to auto login by
> default, but gdm still does the auto login. Here is what I did to stop X
> completely.
>
> 1) ssh in from another machine
> 2) ps -ef | grep X
> 3) sudo kill $pid_of_X
> 4) ps -ef | grep X
> - Note X will still be running with the gdm screen
> 5) sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
> 6) ps -ef | grep X
> - X no longer running
>
> The other thing I would recommend is turning the verbosity up to 6 on
> the X log file. Edit the /etc/gdm/gdm-cdd.conf. Look for these lines:
>
> [server-Standard]
> name=Standard server
> command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -br -audit 0
> flexible=true
>
> Add a -logverbose 6 to the command line so it looks like this:
> command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -br -audit 0 -logverbose 6
>
> That will tell the X server to output more info to the
> file /var/log/Xorg.0.log. That may help you find why the nvidia driver
> is pegging the cpu.
>
> Cheers,
> James

OK, I did what you suggested, and I don't really see anything in the
Xorg.0.log.  I installed 8.10, and told it to use the NVIDIA Series
drivers right off the CD, which turns out to be 177.80.  When the system
rebooted, it came up and immediately Xorg was spiking @ 100%.  So I did
what you suggested above and put the -logverbose optoin into
/etc/gdm/gdm-cdd.conf and rebooted.  When it came back up, it took a
while for the frontend to come up (maybe 20 minutes or so), but it
finally did.  Xorg didn't seem to spike but everything took a while.

I tried tuning an analog station and, while it did come in and looked OK
picture wise, it wasn't playing.  Basically, I got a still-shot of
whatever was on that channel at that time, and it would update about
every 10-15 seconds.  There was no motion to it at all.

Lastly, I saw no errors whatsoever in the Xorg.0.log.  I was going to
post it to this reply, but I wasn't sure if the list would bounce it or
not, so I didn't.  I can send it along upon request if anyone is
interested in seeing it.

Thanks,
Harry