[mythtv-users] nVidia interlace problem

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Tue Nov 18 16:54:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 11:46 +0000, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> I've tried VGA to Scart with an FX5200 now, with Minimyth, which
> currently uses the 169.12 drivers. I get exactly the same problem.
> This is so frustrating. So what do we do? Does anyone know if this
> ever got fixed in any driver version, and which cards/chips we are
> restricted to? Or is it just best to avoid nVidia, and stick to ATI
> or Intel?

The only nVidia drivers that get interlacing right are the 8774 drivers.
That restricts you to xorg-1.3 and a 2.6.22.x kernel.  It also restricts
you to an AGP card.  But even 8774 has problems--you have to use a
modeline from EDID for interlaced output; it's impossible to specify the
equivalent modeline manually.  While nVidia does update some older
drivers as legacy drivers, they don't update the 8xxx drivers.  The 7xxx
drivers don't seem to do interlacing correctly.

Another post here reported that ATI doesn't do interlacing correctly.  I
haven't heard anything about interlacing with Intel.  I haven't heard
any success stories with ATI or Intel, and I haven't heard any complete
success with nVidia post 8774.